> What To Do In Case Of a Motor Vehicle Accident
What To Do In Case Of a Motor Vehicle Accident
1. Stop - State law requires it.
2. Medical Attention -Check and see if anyone requires immediate medical attention.
3. Call the Police -Call 911 (or ask someone at the accident scene to call 911) to contact the state, local or city police. Request ambulance and/or emergency medical services, if needed.
4. Take Safety Precautions- use flags, light flares, set up reflectors, etc. to prevent further accidents.
5. If You Suspect The Other Driver Was Drinking Alcohol - Tell the police officer on the scene. Ask the officer to consider giving the driver a sobriety test, including an alcohol breath test.
6. Identify The Other Driver - Get the other driver's name, home address, home and work telephone numbers, driver's license (state and number), automobile registration (state and number), license plate (state and number) and the driver's vehicle insurance company, insurance policy number and agent's name.
7. Verify Information- Check the expiration date to make sure the driver's license, car registration and license plates are current. Also check the license plate to make sure it matches the plate number listed on the car registration.
8. Limit Comments- Discuss details of the accident only with the police officer on the scene. Do not argue or discuss the accident with the other driver or with the driver's insurance investigators.
9. Identify Any Witnesses- Get their names, addresses, home and work telephone numbers and ask them to describe what they saw.
10. Seek Legal Advice- Contact an experienced personal in-jury attorney for skilled legal advice related to the accident and your legal rights.